Friday, October 1, 2010

Think Pink

All around me today the world is pink. The newpaper is pink, the firefighters are wearing pink, trees are wrapped in pink ribbons. This happens every October for breast cancer awareness month. But this year is different for me. I will schedule my mammogram and go have it as always. However, someone I know has done the same thing and had a report come back as suspicious for cancer.

For most people that would be a call to action. For one of my aunts it was. She was diagnosed and has been clear now for about 13 years. Now another aunt is choosing to ignore her doctor's advice. Her reply was that she'll come back next year and have another mammogram.

No one can understand why a very intelligent woman would make such a choice. We all have our own theories about it but we cannot understand. So this year it feels more like a heavy pink cloud is hanging over me. Her children and siblings, neices and nephews have all tried to speak with her about the wisdom of her choice without changing her mind. I will continue to pray that the Lord will open her heart and mind to the wisdom that would come from having a biopsy at least. Then we would all know whether this is cancer or something else. I truly feel that her daughter deserves to know at least this.

If you have ever dealt with a similar situation, I would love to hear how you resolved it. And remember to get your mammogram!

No comments:

Post a Comment